Ash and I went on our first date in over a year! That's probably not something many would confess-- it seems like all the marriage experts recommend having a date night EVERY week or something. I don't actually recommend one date a year either, but I am proud of me and my husband... the last few years have been tight and hard through grad school so date nights weren't easily possible. BUT! It seems like some of the most beautiful and old relationships I've seen always talk about "those" years: those years when money is for living and not for entertainment or anything other than praying it lasts to the next paycheck. Those years are good years to learn that we rely on God for EVERYTHING-- indeed, every breath comes from His gracious, soveriegn hand. So during those years I sometimes dreamed about the kind of date I'd like to have with Ash and I have to say, those years have made me far more grateful for this past Tuesday night. So without further adieu, let me tell you about our first date in over a year...
We went to a concert! I am sure there are loads of great, romantic date ideas out there. The movies, or dinner, or whatever, but far away, my perfect date would include (in addition to Ash, ofcourse) some form of art. And I love concerts! I love discovering new bands! We sat in a old, historic, but newly renovated building in Palmer (the heart of agriculture for Alaska-- Palmer has a neat history that includes Roosevelt sending families to Alaska during the Depression to make fresh starts in farming-- those families came to Palmer). There were over a 100 of us crammed into this old building and with excellent coffee, and seats next to wonderful friends (Joel & Naomi) we waited for our sold out show.
Earlier in the month, I had read about this band coming to Alaska. I am always starved for information about any sort of art in Alaska, but as the band's name is Carolina Chocolate Drops, I was instantly intriqued. I love Carolina and I love Chocolate-- how could this NOT be a band I'd love?! It turns out that I devoured everything I could find online about them. They have a traditional, appalachian sort of bluegrass sound which I thoroughly enjoy. And I learned that Joel's brother had just seen them perform in Chicago and loved the concert, so we all made plans to go.
And to quote Eliza Doolittle, "I could have danced all night!" It was nearly impossible to stay seated through the show. This was the kind of show where a body wants, ACHES to dance. Only, the room was so packed, there was truly only room to stay firmly on your bottom. But feet were stomping! Seriously, all night the floor reverberated with "Thwop, thwop, thwop"-- in time to the fantastic music. Hands clapped and heads bobbed and mouths sang along. My husband wore a gigantic smile all evening and ever since the concert he's been singing the song we remember best:
"Cornbread and butterbeans and you across the table! Eating beans and *being friends* as long as I am able!" (*we needed to make a small adaptation to the words so Charlotte could sing along, too).
And I have this theory that we should experience art. I think we can merely observe art, and there's probably a time & place for that, but I think art is meant to be felt... something in us should respond... maybe emotions and maybe our intellect, but something intimate to us should be touched. And I love when I am changed by art.
I have been learning to put my worship for God on display because I think that honors God when I am willing to show how hungry and desperately in love with Him I am. Instead of being concerned that I'll look foolish by singing too loud or weird for raising my arms and opening myself up, I want Jesus to know how grateful I am He's rescued me. I now think it's weird and peculiar to stand with my hands in my pockets, feeling bored, and watching other people when I am mumbling the words:
"Salvation spring up from the ground. Lord, rend the heavens and come down. Seek the lost and heal the lame, cause all the world to shout your name!"
or,
"Come thou fount of every blessing, tune my heart to sing thy praise! Streams of mercy, never ceasing call for songs of loudest praise! Teach me some melodious sonnet, sung by flaming tongues above. Praise the mount, I'm fixed upon it, Mount of thy redeeming love! O to grace, how great a debtor daily I'm constrained to be. Let thy goodness, like a fetter, bind my wandering heart to thee! Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it! Prone to leave the God I love! Here's my heart, Lord, take and seal it! Seal it for thy courts above!"
And don't get me wrong here, the Carolina Chocolate Drops had nothing to say about God-- they weren't leading a time of worship through music. BUT! God is the Author of all creativity and beauty. When we discover something in science, we are discovering something about God~ something He designed. Art is the same. For me, a really great concert causes me to worship God, the Author of our creativity. I so enjoyed Tuesday night because it was an evening of excellent music. And for me, what I have been thinking since then~ or, how I have been changed, is that I want to be more responsive when I am confronted with beauty. I don't want to be someone who sits all stuffy and afraid to respond when I am moved. I want to be the sort of person who puts my admiration on display. The Carolina Chocolate Drops said they so appreciated an audience who interacted with them-- that it made them feel great to be so obviously appreciated. If the chief end of man is truly "To know God and enjoy Him forever," it makes sense that He would enjoy genuine appreciation, too. I want to be someone who is unreserved in my appreciation-- I want to be the sort of person who honors creativity and beauty.
P.S. For those reading my blog in North Carolina, The Carolina Chocolate Drops will be in Charlotte, NC April 5th.
P.P.S. www.carolinachocolatedrops.com or look them up on myspace.com
The Cotswolds
11 years ago
2 comments:
Today we hit the jackpot!! Lots of pictures and reading!!Sounds like
like you have the best of both of both worlds. Snow or water parks.
I know the kids loved both.
The goodies also scored high marks, Ha.Then you and Ash toped off the fun. I say go girl.
Have fun and since I don't have your mom and days address I'll just say hi to them thru you. Thanks, XOXO Nana Jane
AMEN, dear friend!
Post a Comment