Tuesday, June 24, 2008

jane austen + Wii

Sarah N. and I were listening to our husbands "discuss" computer & video games last night. They rattled off names like Halo and Ghost Recon and... well, actually, I have no idea what other games they mentioned. There were several though and it is safe to assume Sarah and I were not active participants in the conversation. Unless by "active" you mean rolling eyes, condescending smirks and outright snorts of laughter. The conversation, however, turned when I suggested that if ever there was a Pride & Prejudice video game, well then, I'd be a gamer. Sarah and I rolled with laughter imagining a video game based on Jane Austen's works. Some aspects we thought up included:
*An Oregon Trail sort of game where you're given a modest sum of money to run an Austen household. Most of Jane Austen's characters must learn to manage their homes on small inheritances, making hard decisions about which servants to keep and how much meat the cook should cut from the daily menu. Do you take the silver with you when your brother and selfish sister-in-law move into your home and usurp your entitled privileges? Do you refuse greasy Mr. Collins' proposal of marriage? All choices have serious consequences...
*Sarah suggested a level of the game where you try to woo Mr. Darcy. This would be a more advanced level, ofcourse.
*I thought that if this game could be brought to the Wii world, then Elizabeth Bennett and Elinor Dashwood could have a dance off-- Dance, Dance Revolution meets Jane Austen country ball. There would be a whole assortment of challenges here. Like if your sister ties your corset too tight that evening before the ball and you faint, then game over! You couldn't make it through the night! You have to be escorted/carried home like Marianne to her everlasting shame.
*There would be a team of all the old busybody ladies from every one of the Jane Austen's books, and if you can outwit that team by making some sneaky, lasting marriage relationships, then you would be awarded some Emma points.
What do you think? I think this could have an online community like Halo and we could join a worldwide network of Jane Austen fans and instead of blowing each other up and fighting alien forces, we'd evade Mr. Collins and, in the ultimate end, manage Pemberly.
Let me know if you have other ideas for how to develop this game. I'll be sure to compile them all and email our suggestions to the President of Wii.

8 comments:

sacra vim said...

Sarah!! I looove it!! I would be all for putting greasy Mr. Collins with snooty Caroline Bingley. Serve them both right. :)
Shannon

Leslie said...

Sarah that is so funny. I love the Marianne and Elinor Dashwood dance off. I recently read a book that allowed you to choose your journey through Jane Austen....making choices made you turn to different pages. YOu had to "marry prudently and for love". Ultimately i was a failure. It is called Lost In Austen. You might enjoy that.

Anonymous said...

Sarah, you're a genius.

Anonymous said...

If only I knew code. Maybe I'll ask my sister-in-law to program this for me for my birthday :) The funny thing is we all laugh, but we probably would all play it! Have I ever mentioned how cool you are, Sarah B? You're cool not just because you write witty posts, but because of who You are :)

Laura for the Baillies said...

you are AWESOME!!!!
*thinking up cute, ridiculous, impossibly long run-on sentences for Miss Bates to say so sincerely and endearingly
i could see myself staying up all night to play that game with friends across the country :)

Mary said...

You are a genious. My friends and I were just discussing DOS and Oregon Trail the other day. The Bath Trail would be so much more fun.
I agree with your friend--we would indeed all play. Especially a Ms. Pacman type game where our heroine tries to outrun the Lady Catherines and Mr Collins of the world.

April said...

Sarah - I love it, this would be so much fun! My kids would like it too, 'cuz then I'd reconsider getting a game system :).

Elizabeth said...

I love it!! Then I could drive Nathan crazy playing some game on the playstation instead of it being the other way around!