Monday, July 14, 2008

no greater joy...


I have a classic Charlotte story to share today that has got me to thinking. The story starts with the sound of dump trucks roaring down our street. It seems our neighbor is filling his backyard with loads of dirt. I think this neighbor also owns the property on the other side of our house-- where our beloved mud puddle is. When I'm feeling charitable I'll affectionately call this puddle a pond. This past winter the puddle was deep enough and wide enough to make a great little skating pond for us. The water disappeared through the spring, though, and there's been almost none through the summer. What we now have is a bog. A stinky, squishy, steal-your-boots-right-off-your-feet bog.

Charlotte and Liam love our bog. And they have discovered loads of tadpoles love our bog, too. Charlotte carries a blue bucket around and shows off the tadpoles she collects each day (we make her put them back in the bog when we go inside) and I've seen about ten at a time in that little bucket. So it was panic that crossed my daughter's face when the dump trucks starting dumping dirt on the property with the bog. The trucks have been coming about every half hour all day-- two trucks-- one carrying dirt to my neighbor's backyard, the other piling dirt up next to the bog. Once two loads were dumped beside the bog, Charlotte could take it no longer. She was compelled to act on behalf of those tadpoles. Her heart broke thinking about all those tadpoles that would die when the bulldozer came to fill the bog. We all went out with Charlotte between the dump trucks runs and starting scooping tadpoles from the mud. We probably found about twenty. Our plan was to relocate them to the creek in the backyard-- which with none of us being all that knowledgeable about frogs, it is possible we sent them to a different certain death. In the creek, though, there's at least hope for life.



So this is a classic Charlotte story-- where she's valiantly working to save something. This time her effort got me to thinking. As I was standing there, boggy mud up to the ankles of my rubber boots and my hands running just underneath the surface of the mud hoping to feel that squirmy sign of life, I asked myself, "Am I doing more now for these frogs than I am for souls lost without Christ?" Maybe I'm stretching the analogy here, but that was my honest reflection. I actually felt sorry for the tadpoles knowing that a bulldozer was coming for them. And my brother Zach told me recently that the population of frogs is alarmingly diminishing. I don't know if that is true, but the thought occurred to me, "What if I could save a few?"


Now, I know absolutely that it is God who saves a man's soul-- that I can't woo a soul like a used-car salesman. But God may allow me to pray for and love a person in a way that He uses to woo their soul. But as far as I am able, I wish it were my response to the needs I see everyday-- in my community and in the world-- to think, "Maybe God will use me for His fame? Maybe someone will be saved..." I wish it were my response everytime I see a bulldozer of a need-- maybe a tsunami or hurricane or earthquake or child in foster care or divorce or whatever... may it be my response to say, "Oh! Send me, God! Please pick me! We're ready to go! We're ready to give!" And as I'm begging to be chosen I'm already pulling on my rubber boots and running out the door-- not waiting for a sign that I am chosen, but instead trusting that God will pull me back if I'm not supposed to go. It seems such a common thing to hear someone say, "I'm waiting for God to call me to..." If there's a need and we can meet it, maybe we should be less ethereal and go ahead and get dirty-- just jump into the bog and get awfully muddy. If I understand what Christ did for me on the cross-- that He was there in my place-- I shouldn't consider the mud a sacrifice. In that bog, I trust I'll find as Lottie Moon did, "Surely there can be no greater joy than that of saving souls" (I found that quote in John Piper's "Desiring God")

11 comments:

Bacon Writer said...

Sarah, Sarah... well put, friend. And way to go, Charlotte for starting a career in having a hand in saving those headed toward a certain death. :)

Laura for the Baillies said...

amen sarah...i have so many good intentions that i'm realizing are fairly useless without the faithfulness of follow-through...i drift into passiveness and start to focus on the wrong things, some are good, just not exactly where He would have aimed me...thank you so much for that!

Leslie said...

Sarah what a great analogy! And Charlotte, hooray for you for saving those frogs and getting your whole family in on the action!

Anonymous said...

That went to my core..

Anonymous said...

Well said! And so true and convicting. You ought to have this article published somewhere.

Unknown said...

Wow, this little girl has a huge heart for sweet little creatures :) Cant wait to see how God uses that tenderness in her life! How are you doing? Adjusting to Pastors wife life? I'm sure you are amazing and graceful. How are the girls this summer? Been thinkin of you guys much and missing Alaska too. Love, Jen

Anonymous said...

Tender is the heart...Bless you Charlotte for saving the frogs. Nana....(n&b)

Anonymous said...

Sarah this is a great story about this tadpole pond, isn't it wonderful how God uses simple things to show us what he has called us to do and we just have to have a child to remind us what our daily task is for God.I often forget that was why He saved me and then said go. no matter where we are we can get the job done. I need Charlotte around to also remind me of what I already know.
I know God has a wonderful working plan for Charlotte. And aren't you glad that He let her be born into your family. Help those frogs Charlotte and later you can hear them sing at night Love you, nana jane

Pops and Gammie said...

:) Thanks for sharing . . .

"He is pushing us to see our lives with a single focus, and for the cross of Christ to be that focus. You don't have to know a lot of things for your life to make a lasting difference in the world. But you do have to know the few great things that matter, perhaps just one, and then be willing to live for them and die for them."

from John Piper~ "Don't Waste Your Life"

Anita said...

Hey dear friend...glad you posted your thoughts. What an impact. God bless Charlotte Rose as she grows in her understanding of her Creator God and love for those lost around her.

Anita

Anonymous said...

This is one of my favorite Blog enteries ever! Your stories are so captivating! I hope you don't mind but I passed on "no greater joy" to several of my best buddies to revel in.
*SAVE THE FROGS* :)