Thursday, September 25, 2008

the scream

I've been thinking about this post for over a week now. I took the picture of the snow halfway down the mountains about a week ago (from my back door), but I haven't had time to blog. I am helping coordinate the MOPS ministry for this valley and our first MOPS meeting was yesterday~ these meetings are a pretty huge endeavor (childcare for over 90 preschoolers!), so I've put all my personal projects and hobbies on pause until after Wednesday morning. The morning went well, and there is a couple weeks until the next meeting, so now I feel I have some freedom to think about other tasks... like my reading list and this blog.

I've thought of Edvard Munch's "The Scream" several times lately. I've thought of it with some of the tasks related to MOPS, but mostly because of the snow that has been coming. Last week we had several cloudy days~ clouds that socked in our valley to such an extent that if one didn't know we were surrounded by mountains, you'd have never known to look around. The mountains were swallowed up by thick grey clouds. When the coulds would lift for an afternoon, we could see their handiwork. Usually we talk about "termination dust"~ the first bit of snow we can see on a mountaintop that tells us winter is coming. This has been a termination dump. It doesn't seem we'll get to wade into winter this year. I imagine the snow will attack within a matter of weeks~ it's like watching Ghengis Khan's army approaching... or what I imagine it would be like to watch a mortal enemy charge.

Do I really think of snow as my mortal enemy? Well, no... not really. Hyperbole just feels appropriate. Maybe because I've had two espressos this morning (gifts from my sweet husband and my sweet neighbor). But though I wrote a couple weeks ago about loving fall~ which I really do in a very romantic way~ I do dread long, cold days and temperatures that turn people blue.

Winter is coming though, and for morale, I am trying to focus on the fact that with the snow, the holidays are also coming. We could go out this afternoon to buy a pumpkin, halloween candy, turkey decorations and Christmas lights. All of these things and the celebrations they represent are things I deeply enjoy. We've been so transient the last few years that I haven't felt like we could really do the holidays like I wanted, but this year! This year we're celebrating everything! I'll be wearing long-johns, fleece and a new down jacket, but we'll be celebrating! Come January and February, I'll be looking for suggestions on how to do Presidents Day up right...


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love Alaska, once in a while I miss the snow, but not very often. However, I do miss everybody. Hugs and Kisses all around. N&B

Leslie said...

oh wow...look at all that snow. I know that it is different since i don't actually have to live there...but that sounds wonderful. I loved our cold winters...days we could cozy in and spend time with friends...bake and eat soup...drink cocoa and wear sweaters.

Anonymous said...

OK don't you know that God has a sense of humor. You in alaska dreading snow and I'm here in SC burning up and saying we want some snow. When we get it, it is a surprise but you get to watch it come down the mountain.We want it lay on the ground and you are ready for it to leave. If we could just go back and forth for a little while we could both have what we want , but God know me and I proably would get tired of that.So He goes on with what He needs to do to have all work right. I surely would mess things up.Love the pictures. My love, nanajane

Sylvia Goode Basham said...

And I guess that's why my husband will never move to Alaska.....

I'm so glad to hear your MOPS morning went well. I know it will be a great year for you. I just smile knowing the growth that's in store for you, you know, the kind of smile you have when someone announces they're pregnant with their first child. There's no way to adequately explain how much you'll be blessed and what a blessing you will be.

I suppose you already know that your MOPS group is mentioned in a link on MOPS Intl website? I saw it just today as I was working on some MOPS stuff myself....

Anonymous said...

You make me laugh! I love the picture - the scream picture. Wish I'd had that to look at the last 3 years! :-) The snow - well, you know I love summer, even in the south. Cold weather is good for a while, but I'm living where I need to be as far as weather goes.

I didn't realize MOPS started this week. I'm praying for you and know that God is with you and your group. I want to hear all about your first meeting! We're pretty settled, about to start the next project (getting out winter clothes). I'd love to hear from you.

Pops and Gammie said...

That is such a good family picture on your blog banner!

Anonymous said...

Love the blog Family Picture. Great of everyone. Almost ready to speak. Keep it there!!! nana jane

Mary said...

I love "the scream" I kind of want to bring a copy to the office. :)

LOVE your new banner...look's fabulous! And is your page now stretching or has it always stretched? The updates look fabulous!!