I am helping coordinate a local MOPS group. MOPS is so much a part of my hopes, schedule, and phone calls these days that I forget that loads of people have never heard of it. I giggle to myself~ respectfully, ofcourse~ when someone looks at me, a little awkwardly, and asks, "MOPS? Like for cleaning?"
"Mothers of Preschoolers," I explain. I did this last with the man who sat in seat 30B, while I sat in 30A (the window seat) on my way home from the MOPS convention in Dallas, Texas. That plane was loaded with MOPS actually~ all of us flying home to our preschoolers in the Northwest.
I didn't really talk about this convention as I was waiting for it. I was grateful to be going, but when arrangements were made way back in May, I gulped and thought, "I'll be leaving my family. I'll be getting on a plane and leaving my family. I have never done this. And as a matter of fact, death by plane crash is one of my ugliest fears..." gulp... So I didn't really talk about it because I kept finding it reassuring to think, "Yes, I am grateful to be going, but that's a long time from now. I don't have to think about it quite yet." I comforted myself with those thoughts right up to the last day of September. And then the first day of October, the day before I boarded my plane to Texas, I started trying to have those pathetic conversations I subject Ash to whenever I feel... well, actually, whenever the whim strikes. I had legitimate concerns this time, so the conversations went something like, "If I get on this plane and I don't make it home, and you find another woman for our children to call 'Momma', will you at least promise to never let her take my pictures off the wall? I need to know Charlotte and Liam will remember me." It's sick, I know. Ash doesn't play along, either. Just like when I ask him to reenact that last scene from Jane Austen's Sense & Sensibility (Emma Thompson's movie script, which I prefer to the new one, though I am THE ONLY ONE with this conviction) with me, he never does (I'd be Eleanor crying, hiding my face in my dirty apron, and he'd be Edward to say, lovingly, "My heart is and will always be, yours.") You gotta respect a man who firmly resists little episodes of mental illness, but sometimes I feel like he doesn't understand fun.
ANYWAYS, this past weekend I was in Dallas, Texas for the MOPS International convention. I'll admit, I had shamefully low expectations for such an event. In fact, I had no expectations. I had no idea what to expect from a MOPS convention. I have been part of three MOPS groups in two different states and I have loads of reasons for believing in and supporting this ministry, but I had no idea what it meant to pull 5,000 women away from their preschoolers for a weekend and celebrate the work they do, day in and day out. I stood in the middle of 5,000 women singing praises to God and being challenged with the refrain, "Better Moms Make a Better World." The whole weekend was devoted to encouraging and training us to do what we can in Christ. Every general session and workshop was aimed toward reminding us of our potential in Christ.
Did you know there are over 102,000 women who are members of MOPS, International? Me neither~ before this past weekend. Do you know what number made huge fat tears roll down my cheeks this weekend? 5,000. A little over 5,000 women came to know Jesus Christ as the Savior He is through MOPS last year. One of those women sat at my table last year. I've appreciated MOPS for the opportunity it gives me to meet women in my community and share life with them. I've been so grateful for the scope of influence God has given me through MOPS. In the next few days I will post my thoughts on lifestyle evangelism because God has used my experience with MOPS to help shape that. I think lifestyle evangelism should be thoroughly discussed and taught among Christians. I'm not saying I'm an expert on the subject, but I do have some thoughts here. I've seen the issue be divisive whereas I feel it should be exhilarating. As exhilarating as 5,000 women stepping out of darkness into the marvelous light of Jesus Christ.
As a cliffnote summary of my favorite convention moments, here's my list:
~Hearing a woman from California share her experience in starting MOPS groups in prisons and then hearing a young woman share how she came to know Jesus through one of those groups.
~Meeting author Erwin McManus and being inspired by his challenging words to live our most heroic lives for Christ- not for fame & fortune, but for transforming the world. He asked if we are more concerned with creating a safe place for our children or rather with making the world a better place. He challenged me by saying (something close to), "When I fear only God, only God establishes my boundaries."
~The musician Plum told us she wasn't going to jump around during her performance like she usually does because she's lactating. Only at a MOPS convention! She has a nine week old daughter, who is her third child and in her words, "has rocked my world".
~The constant refrain that everything about my days is important and worthwhile. The diapers, the meals, the cleaning, the referee moments... all of it is significant. I want my children to grow into interesting, capable, passionate people. I want them to run fearlessly hard after God. God has given me an immense scope of influence as a mother. I love that MOPS appreciates that.
P.S. Sylvia... There are three people in particular that I wish I had told I was going. The first two are my parents. They called and said, "We read in Ashley's blog that you went to Texas. How nice of you to not tell us." Needless to say, they didn't actually think that was nice of me. But the third person is you. If I had thought there was a chance that you'd have come, I would have been thrilled to see you. I would have monopolized your time~ as evidence of my delight.
P.P.S. Jennie Schellenberger! How great it was to see you! How great to get to connect with you again.
12 comments:
I'm so glad I got to sit next to you on that airplane while we both contemplated dying on that plane while our families were left behind. :) I loved having you on that trip. And it meant so much to me that you came out of your room to say goodbye Sunday mornin' in your jammies.. From TN, Amanda
Loved to hear about your trip. Just to see how God works in so many different ways. Just putting God in our everday work a day world such as our home chores. Sometimes I need a big pick me up when I start cleaning, but love it when I get thru. Sounds like a wonderful week for you and even though you might not think it, it is good to be away from family for a few days because the homecomming is always wonderful. Keep up good work. May God bless!! nana jane
Sarah you have an amazing way with words...like making a crazy fear that we moms all seem to have about dying funny...i laughed!! I am so glad that you enjoyed your trip and that you made it home safely.
Sounds like you had a wonderful time...so I forgive you. N
Sounds like it was such a blessing for you despite the flying fears. And really, you are definitely not the only one that prefers the Emma Thompson S&S--it's my all time goto comfort movie. I even named my blog after a line in that movie that was sadly--not even in the book. I hear you on the S&S love. :) "But can he love her? Can the heart really be satisified with such polie affections?"
IS there any other version of S&S? i'm so excited to hear about your trip! i don't see how it could really have been much of a conference since they hadn't invited sarah brown to be a speaker at it...you were still very gracious in your praise :)
Hey Sarah, So glad you got to go with the gals and thanks for keeping our cousins while Sis was away, she was so comforted to know they were with ya'll! We are LOVING our time together :) in the SUNSHINE!
Jen
Sarah,
Reading your post makes me wish I had been there. It would have helped with my PMCTS (Post MOPS Convention Traumatic Syndrome) recovery process.
I've only been once eleven years ago and it was a traumatic experience for me...it was the first time I ever flew! And my attitude about flying was much as yours...I wasn't in the "sudden death, sudden glory" mode at the time with leaving 3 kids at home and one of them only five months old and had nursed exclusively until the day I left.
Come to think of it, poor planning on my part :-) was part of the trauma. That and trying to pump milk in airport bathrooms and even the MOPS convention did not have a "pumping mothers" section at the time.
I hear it's at the Gaylord Opryland next year which I just stayed in 2 weeks ago on a business trip with my husband...call it field trip for me and the little two and our family actually had dinner with the Stegalls while in Nashville!
I would not have minded if you had monopolized my time and would have considered it an honor to have that much time with you as well.
Still laughing my head off about your "hoes" post....part of what makes it so funny is the unexpectedness of the source!
I know you'll have a great MOPS year!
just for you i made a new post
I am happy you made it back safely! I always worry while traveling so I can completely understand your struggle. It sounds like a lovely trip! Is it weird that I make my husband re-enact moments from Jane Austen as well?
Thanks for sharing the MOPS convention news. Love the Plum line, although I have no idea who Plum is. (Should I admit that, or do others also not know?) It seems like the convention was awesome, and I'm only sad that I never went to one during my MOPS years.
I'm looking forward to you upcoming posts on lifestyle evangelism.
You do make me laugh, and so does Liam. That "hoe" stuff is hilarious! And definately worth including. You should send that into a parenting magazine. Too, too funny!
I miss you all!! So does Zachary!
Hey Sarah!
What fun to see you at Convention. I love your website. I'll have to read past-posts to catch up on your life there in Alaska. Your kids are so big now, but then, they all do grow up at some point, don't they?
We'll have to keep in touch in case we both end up at Convention again next year. I wish we had seen each other earlier.
Post a Comment