
I am sitting in long-johns and fleece pants, having just removed my snow pants and down coat. At 5:30am I was lacing up my bunny boots (BIG winter boots) and stuffing mittens into my kids' coats. We were told last night that the Palin motorcade would be passing through Wasilla between 6 and 6:30am so Sarah could vote and we were invited to come wait for it with the Keller family. The Kellers were dancing and waving signs on the side of the highway in Wasilla yesterday and we were told it was COLD work. SO we bundled up and were in position by 5:50am. The Kellers had hot chocolate and heat lamps, but I never needed these things. It was just too exciting to be supporting our friends and waving at the start of rush hour traffic~ especially when the Palin motorcade passed by. We waved and jumped around and were gratified when one of the drivers in the motorcade honked for us.

We danced around for a little over an hour but Ash had to get to work (and Charlotte had to find a bathroom), so we decided to make our way to City Hall, where we are registered to vote. We figured we might see the Palin motorcade there, but apparently, if we'd arrived a little earlier we could have taken pictures with Sarah Palin. As it was, the little city street next to City Hall was packed with dark SUVs and vans and reporters and police officers and the secret service. We heard cheering and Sarah had just left City Hall to cross the street and talk to the reporters.

It is just so weird for all this to be happening in Wasilla. City Hall was once an elementary school with characters from books painted on the walls~ I went to school there. When we went in to vote, the women checking ID and handing out ballots were mostly women from the Primetimers group at our church. Charlotte has a really good relationship with several of these women, so the moment we walk in wearing our snowpants, hats, and down jackets, Charlotte races across the room to dish out hugs to the women who were probably just on the cable news channels. The woman behind me was showing me the pictures she'd taken of Sarah moments ago, her cheeks rosy from having waited since 5:30am to see Sarah. Most people awake at 5:30am this morning in Wasilla won't have seen Sarah, but it was sweet to see how everyone wanted to show her support. Across the street from this next picture, where we waiting to make a turn for City Hall, was a huge sign that read, "Welcome Home, Gov!"

I am so thankful for the privilege of voting, but most of the time I think, "Well, the election is decided long before Alaska's votes are counted and our measly 3 electoral points are even added." And while that is still true, it's just amazing to think that millions have people in a time zone four hours ahead of mine, have already voted~ have already made a choice for or against my neighbor. Those votes are already being tallied and anxiously watched. It is amazing to me to imagine those millions sitting up LATE tonight anticipating results, probably not even thinking for a moment about the numbers that will eventually come through for Alaska. But if you're reading this, and you are one of those souls glued to the results late tonight, when you do see Alaska's count, think of me. Think of me standing in my private ballot box amazed that "Maybe Sarah placed her vote in exactly this booth using exactly this pen." Think of me getting a little emotional relishing the privilege of voting and the history that is being made with this vote. And then think of me with a little girl clad in snowpants tugging at my leg, her eyes really tearing up because she can't hold it anymore. I hurry and slide my ballot in its privacy sheath and feed it to the sucking machine. Virginia from church hands me and Charlotte "I Voted" stickers with the eight stars from the Alaska flag on them. What an amazing morning.
8 comments:
I already thought of you and Alaska this morning. I turned some cable news show on and a box at the bottom corner of the screen informed me how late Alaskans have to vote. I thought that you probably hadn't voted yet, but I think this was around 11am (my time), so you had!
Go Palin! I really like her! (Maybe I'm biased by her Wasilla roots, but I don't think so.)
I saw you! There you were . . . behind Sarah Palin as she was being interviewed on Fox News! After getting Ash's call, I told Pops that I was going to check out the photos and videos of Palin's voting. At first I just saw legs entering the video picture . . . (much like seeing the feet and legs descend down the escalator at the airport!) . . . but I can identify my chickdees and whippersnappers legs anywhere! Then the camera panned out and I could see all of you . . . how very exciting. I even saw the flash of your camera taking the pictures from across the street, that and Ash bending down with Liam in his arms and Charlotte by his side were the cinchers ~ I called Ash, Nana Jane, and A's 1&2. Hey, I know those people ~ there's my family standing in the middle of history! Well, actually you were behind the security perimeter :) What a very cool morning for you guys!
Oh, Sarah, thank you for letting us be right there with you in your writing of your adventures! I would love for your Governor to be our President some day, but I'll take VP for now :-)
oh sarah that picture of charlotte with her McCain Palin poster is so cute!! Go you little voter! I was so excited to read that you were planning on getting out in the cold to do this. It must have been so exciting. We are anxiously waiting now.
Sarah - I already thought of you guys long before your votes will come in. Bobby and I were watching Palin's vote this morning, and all I could think about was how cool was it that you lived in that same town, and how could it would be to see you on tv. I didn't see you, but I will have to check out online videos to find you. Unfortunately, as late as it is right now, it looks like Obama has quite the lead. Go Palin!, none-the-less.
It looks like NC votes don't mean much either. :-( The results from NC still aren't in!
I was wondering where you were in relation to Palin. How exciting for you and your family. That is pretty awesome! What a great memory for Charlotte. :o)And for you!
What a great experience!
Post a Comment