Friday, November 28, 2008

the nutcracker

We took Charlotte to the Nutcracker for the first time today. We gave her a book on Thanksgiving of the Nutcracker story, so she could better understand the ballet. A few months back we let her study a map of the theater and choose our seats; she chose the line of single seats along the mezzanine. Ash and I decided months ago that we wanted to give our daughter the memory of a ballet. Everytime Charlotte hears music from The Nutcracker, I hope she remembers the nutcracker prince, the Sugarplum Fairy and her Cavalier, and that woman who hides all her children underneath her crazy big dress. And the snowflakes! Everytime a snowflake lands on Charlotte's freckled nose, I hope she moves to her tippy toes and celebrates the falling snow like those beautiful dancing snowflakes.

And for those who are interested, it was the Oregon Ballet Theatre who came to Anchorage to perform The Nutcracker and Liam spent the day with Malachi and Kaleb.



6 comments:

Pops and Gammie said...

What a delight! I'm sure Charlotte will remember every detail of the ballet. This brings forward my Cinderella memories; I'll never forget Charlotte's expression when the prince tried the glass slipper on her foot. It was was my joy for Pops & I to experience the theatre through the eyes of our 4-year old princess~

Leslie said...

what a wonderful experience for her...she looks so pretty all dressed up for a date with mommy and daddy. avery loved going to the ballet

Sylvia Goode Basham said...

I took my Rachael to see this when she about 6.

She spent much of the time holding her index finger about a foot in front of her face and watching with one eye closed. This helped her to "block out the bulge" of the men in tights....that really bothered her.

I don't know what kind of memories she will have of the Nutcracker. She's 11 now so I should ask her :-)

I hope this comment is not too family un-friendly...

Anonymous said...

I'm catching up on your blog today and want to say that your writing is absolutely FANTASTIC. And the memories you are making as a family top your writing. I'm so impressed with you! You're inspiring.

I'm praying that you have a great MOPS Christmas meeting tomorrow!

Amandrew Brown said...

Can I just say that my niece is the prettiest little girl I've ever seen.

I love you guys...

-Uncle Andrew

DeLong House said...

I have to admit that when I read ", the Sugarplum Fairy and her Cavalier," I was thinking- What?? the sugar plum fairies were driving?? (chevy cavalier) ...it's late..