I Meant To Do My Work Today
I meant to do my work today-
But a brown bird sang in the apple tree,
But a brown bird sang in the apple tree,
And a butterfly flitted across the field,
And all the leaves were calling me.
And the wind went sighing over the land
Tossing the grasses to and fro,
And a rainbow held out its shining hand-
So what could I do but laugh and go?
Richard LeGallienne
But! After the last two days, I am nothing but hopeful! Our temps have been in the mid 50s and all of the snow has melted from our "yard"... I should just say property. Those pics from Easter- pictures of eggs hidden in snowbanks- were only a week and a half ago! My world is thawing. Spring will color my world green soon... I am waiting and watching for the tiniest signs of life now. The sunshine that has sprinkled freckles across my daughter's nose and cheeks will soon beckon the trees and forest floors- and my swamp!- to unfurl in buds and sprouts of life. It's coming... we're expectant... it's almost here.
For now, I'm satisfied with pale bare toes and arms... pale until they're muddy anyways. My kiddos were outside all day yesterday and today. They rode their bikes, painted rocks, constructed pens for their farm animals (all imaginary- except for one black lab mutt) and followed their papa around while he dug ditches for snow to melt away from our property. I am content with 55 degree weather and the color pink- the pink that now colors my babies' faces.
7 comments:
What a perfect poem! Nice choice, friend.
OH! Andrew has the same knee hole talent as Charlotte...and it's the same knee!!!!
Hannah's a left knee girl...I'll have to buy all new jeans and pants for Isabel when she's 6 because her sister's will all have to be transformed to play cut-offs :)
I can't wait to see your pictures of spring green there, I'm longing for that infusion of life and color for you dear friend!!
And how awesome that your kids can go barefoot! Our house was apparently built on "party" ground behind a high school because we find a half dozen pieces of broken glass nearly everytime we go out to play, Jack's gotten cut a couple of times, I can't bring myself to let them go barefoot in their own yard :(
as always your way with words is stunning....i love the picture of charlotte with the bare feet and holy jeans. I am greatful, on your behalf, that the sun is shining, the ground is thawing, and soon you will have green and blooms.
When you have survived an Alaskan winter, Spring feels like heaven! Enjoy it. Love you Sarah....Mom
FREEDOM! ENERGY! & happy hearts for being outside in the Spring air!
Love you guys~
Sounds like we all like to see Spring come, Strawberries are ripe and yum yum! Can't help but think of Charlotte. Barefoot in April, I guess I'm softie! Love those warm day!! I know you all are enjoying the warm weather, hope it stays that way for you guys.Thanks for note and pictures, love them!!!!
nana jane
Post a Comment