My active imagination allows me to think of these verses alongside a high school cross country race course. I love to imagine all the saints referenced in the preceding chapter seated in the bleachers at the end of the course. There would be more in those bleachers now, because of how much time has passed since these words were written. But I love to imagine my life as a cross country race and my course ending in front of those bleachers. I want to limp across that finish line, spent and muddy and broken, having given it all, with those bleachers thundering in applause and praise. Only, understand me here: the cheering won’t be for me, but for Jesus. I’m not running this race for me. If it was about me, I wouldn’t be running at all. I’d be sitting on my couch, drinking coffee and reading Twilight, metaphorically. But I am running because God has set my heart free and my life is now about His fame and glory. So I am running as hard and fast as I know how, devoted to what Jesus is devoted to. In fact, I want to run so well that I am worthy of that Cloud of Witnesses to cheer for me. I want to be able to finish my race and then climb up into those bleachers to cheer on the ones coming after me. I want to be worthy of joining them in God’s praise. I can’t imagine sitting beside them and understanding how to praise if I make my life devoted to my comfort and happiness. Those souls were persecuted and finished their races bloody and broken because of their love for Jesus. If you don’t know who I am talking about, read the eleventh chapter of Hebrews to get acquainted with these souls. Read, too, some missionary biographies: Jim Elliot, Bruce Olson, William Carey, to name just a few. If I am surrounded by such as these, I want to hear them encouraging me to, “Run faster! You’re almost there! Praise God, you’re almost there.”
I think, as Christians, while each of us is running, we’re also meant to cheer one another on. Some of us will slip and stumble through mud bogs, like Christian from Pilgrim’sProgress. Many of us will even be tempted to step out of the race, too. But may I never be a hindrance or obstacle to my brother or sister in their race. May I never, out of pride, jealousy, anger, malice or whatever, push them or throw myself in their way. Instead, I want to be handing out cups of water or Gatorade and cheering, “Keep running! Please keep running! It’s worth it… He’s always worth it!” When I admonish or teach another, may it be so that person’s race is run better. If they are in a bog or wounded along their course, may I in love carry them along. I want their race run brilliantly, worthy of the Gospel, for God’s fame.
I think of John the Baptist. Because of injustice against him, he was in jail and about to be beheaded. He loved Jesus and was devoted to Jesus’ fame and glory. John would be the last prophet, camel skin clothes, locust diet and all. His life was devoted to telling people to get ready for Jesus- to get ready for God’s redemption plan. And Jesus loved him! They were cousins, but they were entwined in God’s love and good purpose. So when John sent word to Jesus from his prison cell asking, “Aren’t you the one?” he wasn’t actually doubting who Jesus was. John knew full well, and it was because of his knowledge that he was asking such a thing. It’s like he was saying, “What am I still doing in here? Why haven’t you come for me? Why aren’t you saving me from this?” And Jesus sent word back, saying, “Go and tell John what you have seen and heard: the blind receive their sight, the lame walk, lepers are cleansed, and the deaf hear, the dead are raised up, the poor have good news preached to them. And blessed is the one who is not offended by me.” Basically, Jesus was saying, “Don’t lose it, John. Out of love, I’m not saving you from this. You’re race is almost done- you’re almost there. Keep running.” That’s John the Baptist! Who am I to expect otherwise? Why would I want anything else? I want to be worthy of Jesus urging me on. I want to be worthy of Jesus stepping out of the stands to carry me to my place in the bleachers. May I be worthy of those bleachers!
6 comments:
LOVE this, dear friend!
beautifully put
I'm so glad to see you posting again! Love you. n&b
Oh how perfect for this season! It's funny because I just read Hebrews 11 before I read this! Thanks for sharing your heart and gift of writing. I love you, dear friend. I look forward to living life with you and cheering one another on to run this race well.
love! what a challenge you bring...or paul brings!
kh
When I get a photo of bleachers, one ofthe following quotes will be paired with it (unless you have objections):
"But I love to imagine my life as a cross country race and my course ending in front of those bleachers. I want to limp across that finish line, spent and muddy and broken, having given it all, with those bleachers thundering in applause and praise. Only, understand me here: the cheering won’t be for me, but for Jesus."
"I want to be able to finish my race and then climb up into those bleachers to cheer on the ones coming after me. I want to be worthy of joining them in God’s praise." ( I prefer this one, at the moment)
Post a Comment