
We were visiting a friend's house today (Johanna's-- you'll meet her in an earlier blog) and they have this swing. I was eager to get pictures of Charlotte on this swing because it so reminded me of one of my favorite artists who paints scenes from Alaska life. The artist is Rie Munoz and the painting I was thinking of is titled "Float Swing." Much of Munoz's work seems to be based from life in Southeast Alaska, but I've always found her work to brightly illustrate everyday life for Alaskans all over the state. "Float Swing" is a small example. The child is swinging on a buoy and though I've never had anything to do with commercial fishing, I do know these buoys make great swings. Even in Southcentral Alaska, where I live, many families are involved in commercial fishing, which is where these buoys are used. Our friends who own the swing Charlotte is using pack up and move to the "beach" to commercial fish all summer, every summer. I appreciate the way life is done in Alaska, and I enjoy the art that beautifully captures life here. Charlotte swinging on a "Float Swing" is probably an example of "life imitating art", but whatever, I like the picture.
3 comments:
As always, we enjoy readidng your posts and seeing the pics. Liam is a real cutey-pie and looks like he is morphing into a real little boy now . . . not too much toddlerhood left. And Charlotte . . . wow. It seems that she is all grown up . . . she looks like a girl almost ready to start kindergarten. All of that Alaskan air seems to be agreeing with all of you. I'm not quite sure about the one character in the "Got you where I want you" post . . .
Sounds like your Saturday WAS perfect!
Love to all of you.
Gammie
Keep up the good works, I love vistiting with pictures when I cant't get the other. Looks like all is going well. When I go to work I go straight to the comoputer for my fix!!!!!! Love all you guys, NANA
Oh how I LONG to see you guys again and be in the MOUNTAINS! I love your Reed Lake pics hiking. I miss that! I love that you are still geocaching too. Can't wait until December! Loving you from SC!
Anita
Post a Comment