Monday, April 14, 2008

baby isabel

Meet baby Isabel! This newborn is four days old! The other day I remembered that our friends who have cows were probably greeting spring with the arrival of new cows, so I called and asked if we could see the babies. We spent several hours on our friends' farm today-- they are so gracious! After a quick trip to Sportsmans Wearhouse to buy four pairs of rubber boots, we spent the afternoon walking through farmland and cow pastures. So far three babies have been born. There would have been four, but one momma died while in labor. Two of the babies have been born just since I called them on Saturday! The one in these pictures is the baby who was born on Saturday. When Charlotte asked what the baby's name is, our friend said Charlotte could name her. Charlotte thought for a moment and said, "Well, I have a friend named Isabel." (Isabel Baillie!) So here, wide waiting world! is Isabel the cow who just celebrated her fourth day of life with the Browns!
Our friend was able to pull Isabel aside so we could pet her. Isabel's momma was so distraught at having been separated from her baby! She bellowed like her heart was breaking-- or like she'd have liked to stomp our faces into the cow patties (and there were loads of those to choose from). We only pet her for a moment and then reunited momma and baby. Before Isabel was put back in the pen with her momma, our friend gave Ash the rope to hold. I was amazed because even though Isabel is only four days old and even though Ash is one of the strongest men I've ever known, that baby cow jerked Ash around like he was a child!
I love this last picture because while it is a fun picture of my little family, it is also a picture of a neat part of Alaskan history. This barn was one of the New Deal barns. During the Depression, when farmers were sent to Alaska to start farms here in the Valley, they were given plans for a house, chicken coop, and barn. All the plans were the same, and this barn is one of those original barns. I enjoyed walking on soil so rich for agriculture, and so rich in history.

3 comments:

Pops and Gammie said...

Wow . . . what a fun farm trip! Thanks a "gazillion" for sharing all of the pics!
Oodles of hugs,
Gammie

Leslie said...

i remember standing on the wall of that pen, us on the inside and the cows on the outside, while the bull was being a little naughty and we had to scoot in there fast with all the little kids!!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks I grew up on a farm, brings back memories. Looks like Charlotte really is a farm girl. She is one of a kind. Lim looks very serious.Would love to see both of them right and get a big farm hug!! Nana Jane