

We spent several days camping on the beach at Clam Gulch. Johanna's family have been commerical fishermen there since 1969. Her family all gathers and camps through the summer to fish. They are set-netters-- which means their nets are set in one place. Fish and Game control when the set-netters can set their nets in the water, so most of their summer days are a a process of setting nets, pulling nets, the tide coming in and going out. And salmon-- lots of salmon to pick out of nets, to set in ice and transport to the weighing station. Ash has spent some time commercial fishing, so lots of what we saw on the beach wasn't new to him, but for me, all this was a unique, educational experience. One piece of information I especially put to good use was when out in one of the boats, watch the horizon-- if you're feeling sickish. I felt sickish when the boat would stop in the water and bob around as Johanna and her brother pulled their nets through the boat to pick fish out. Charlotte went out in the boats a couple times and never seemed bothered by sea-sickness. The fish blood in the boat never bothered her. Watching the salmon gasp for breath-- breathlessly begging to be thrown back into the water didn't seem to upset her either. I wouldn't make a good fisherwoman-- or is it fishmonger? but Charlotte loved it all. She even carried a dead Dolly Vardon around calling it, "My dolly." For my part, every time Johanna and Peter pulled in a Dolly I sang a Dolly Parton song. I only had opportunity to sing, "Islands in the Stream." I had "Two Doors Down" waiting- aching to come out though.

Here is Liam with our gracious hostess... let me tell you, sourdough pancakes and good coffee around a table with friends is a very good thing, but put those things on a beach with a view like Clam Gulch and... amazing. Our first night was rainy and cold on the beach, but the next day the clouds broke and I gasped as they unveiled one of the most breathtaking views on the planet. From our beach we could see a mountain range with three volcanoes-- Illiamna, Redoubt and Spur. The water between us and those mountains was littered with bright orange fishing buoys and the beach was loaded with seasonal camping trailers, boom trucks and big fish coolers. I relished these scenes that are quintessentially Alaskan to me. What a heritage to offer children and grandchildren-- to spend summers on a beach that greatgrandfathers were setting nets from... and where great grandmothers were cooking sourdough pancakes.

And here's my favorite Johanna-- who my children love so much. She was helping me put them to bed that night-- bed in a tent where the water would come within ten feet from at high tide. Each night I woke when the water was closest-- woken by the sound of a rolling tide. I'd cover my babies back up and then pull my blankets to my chin and nestle in for another few hours of sleep.
11 comments:
Sounds like a wonderful time....miss you guys. N&B
What an absolutely wonderful outing for you guys! I love that beach . . . I remember taking first graders there many times, studying tidal pools every April/May. It is truly a beautiful place!
What fun opportunities for Charlotte and Liam . . . and hey, you just started your "home schooling" science lessons :)
Sarah,
Sea sickness...hmm...reminds me of another boating aventure!! It sounds like you fared a little better this time, though:) The views you described almost took my breath simply because of your wonderful descriptions. Thanks for sharing~
Janice
Sarah, your writing is delicious to my soul...thank you SOO much for sharing your adventures with us!
I love the Doners! And some day I will get a chance to go visit at clam gulch..I'm always gone and miss out. But how fun for you guys. Soak in that AK summer..it's going fast.
I am not much of a camper but i think that would be amazing. What a beautiful way to spend time with your friends. I love that you were singing Dolly. That Charlotte is one strong and brave little girl.
Wow! What fun!!
I so enjoy reading your blog and soak in the descriptions of your adventures.
That sounds like a fun weekend adventure! You're making great "growing up" memories for the kids. Thanks for telling us about it and sharing the pictures!
The Republic of Pirates?? Just saw that. Sounds like something my boys would be interested in. I have no idea what it's about though, so I'm probably way off! I'm personally in the mood to read To Kill A Mockingbird again. I think I'll put that next on my list. :-)
Hey Sarah,
I am just about to leave to head to Winston Salem and I just wanted you to know that I wish you were going to be there... I really would love to hug your neck today.
I will have to love on Charlotte and hug Ash and tell him to deliver it to you! Just wanted to know that you will be missed today. I'm looking forward to capturing this day for your family.
Missing you,
Casey
I think I had just as much fun having you guyes down there! I hope their wil e many return visits!-JD
Post a Comment