Sunday, September 7, 2008

blueberries

We went up to Hatcher's Pass to pick blueberries yesterday. Our neighbors called us early in the morning to ask if we'd like to tag along with them, and we responded with an exuberant "Yes!" Berry-picking is one of my favorite things to do-- not because I have loads of recipes for berries, and not because I can even eat all the berries I'd like to pick, but mostly because sitting on a hillside, surrounded by autumn in the mountains, is one of the most enchanting activities I've ever experienced. I love watching my children wander through berry bushes. I love how blueberry-picking fingers are stained purple. I love the earthy smell of autumn in Alaska-- it doesn't sound lovely, but it such a welcome sense to me-- the smell of decaying vegetation. It is the smell of everything green turning to brilliant yellows and reds. The fireweed in the mountains was the deepest shade of red-- it will soon bloom out into the cotton that means winter has come. It is this turning mixed with the crisp air that pulls sweaters and fleece out of our closets. Our summer has ended, but I'm not grieving in any way. I like how my friend, Sarah C., wrote in an email recently~ she described "the cozy routine we fall into" with this season. I welcome fall! I'd have thrown my arms open wide to embrace fall on that mountainside yesterday-- if it hadn't been for the other berry-pickers, motorcyclists, and paragliders we were sharing the mountainside with. My family allows me such eccentricities, but I'd have probably made others uncomfortable. Most Alaskans, afterall, are still grouching about how we didn't actually have a legitimate summer. How many days did we have above 65 degrees, anyways?

10 comments:

Chris said...

Sarah, you really make me miss it. Although Leslie and I have noticed some of the trees starting to change here as well.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful picture! It's still in the high 80's here, so I miss those crisp Autumn days and two weeks of brilliant color. Love you....Nana

Sylvia Goode Basham said...

Fall is my very favorite time of the year....and blueberries are my very favorite berries! The blueberries we picked this year were piddly. I'm trying to keep the phantom green fangs of envy in check....

Anonymous said...

Wow, that looks like fun! I wish I got to pick those berries! I hope all is going well!
Rachel

Amandrew Brown said...

...my favorite part is the fact that Charlotte might just be a little too cool for this photo-op.

Leslie said...

oh i miss it...how i would have loved a summer with no warm days...65 sounds like a dream...i love the fall. What a beautiful place to welcome it, up in Hatcher's Pass..although i think you should have embraced it anyway, despite neighbors and onlooking strangers!! I love you. When i was looking at your pictures and the video of Liam it made me think of the kids book Blueberries for Sal. Have you read that one?

evakoski said...

I love Fall in Alaska! It always reminds me of shopping for school supplies when I was a child. Thank goodness I have a kid in school now, because it was getting a little weird buying packages of number 2 pencils and notebook paper for no good reason every Autumn.

Unknown said...

oh, so jealous :) Was just telling Mary and Rich how I was missing blueberry picking @ Hatchers...So happy you got to enjoy those mountains and stained hands!!! Make some muffins and eat them all for us.
Jen

Alaskan Roberts said...

Sounds like lots of fun Sarah. I'm sooo jealous, that is something we were really looking forward to doing this year, the walls of my house are getting pretty boring to look at, but at least i can see the beautiful fall colors out the window. Give me a call or stop by!

Mary said...

Very few days over 65? Wow. My cousin Jaime lived in Alaska when Leslie was still there and I always said I'd get up there to visit someone. Of course I never did. You write so beautifully about this place--your love is evident.