There's a question I always like to ask people. "If you could go to any moment in history, where would you go, and why?" I've heard everything from the land rush days to the grassy knoll. I especially like imagining the night Jesus was born when the lowly shepherds were audience to a heavenly choir that burst out of the starry night sky~ celebrating the birth of an infant who would be our Savior. I'd definitely like to visit that moment~ were the shepherds scared? Was the night cold? Did the sheep notice? Were the angels singing, "Oh Holy Night" in choir robes, or were they dancing across the sky like I've seen the northern lights do? I love hearing the moments people come up with to answer this question.
For me, my answer is always that afternoon Martin Luther King, Jr. gave his "I Have A Dream" speech on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial. I can imagine the heat of a sweltering DC afternoon, and the stifling congestion of so many bodies packed between Lincoln and the Washington Memorial. How long were people standing? How long did they go between meals? How far had they come from? I love to imagine the hope that made all those uncomfortable things worth one man's revolutionary words. I love to try to imagine the hope that filled all those souls that had gathered to hear, "I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal." I can weep when I hear the end of MLK's speech crescendo with, "Free at last. Free at last. Thank God Almighty, we're free at last." What a remarkable, amazing, hopefilled moment.
So I think thankful is the best way to explain how I feel about America's situation right now. I recognize the remarkable moment we're getting to experience with this presidential election. We've taught our daughter that regardless of the issues at hand, whether or not we agree with policies, it is an amazing moment in American history that for the first time, a black man will be our nation's president, or a woman will be our vice president. I love that my children will grow up in an America where these options really are plausible.
I remember being a little girl and thinking, "I could be President of the United States of America." It was only ever a passing thought. I didn't actually want to be President. I've really only dreamed about being an independently wealthy lady of leisure. But I knew every little girl SHOULD know she COULD be President.
So I really can't express how hopeful I am about the possibility that the first woman to be vice president, perhaps one day president? is from Wasilla, Alaska~ my hometown! Washington DC with its monuments and speeches has always seemed so far away from my Alaskan hometown. But my schools? My grocery store? My parks? My church? Could the next Vice President really be that close? Sarah Palin won't be the right fit for everyone's vote, BUT! How remarkable, amazing and hopefilled I am that I get to experience this kind of moment in American history.
If you comment, maybe share the moment in history you'd like to visit, and why.
The Cotswolds
11 years ago
6 comments:
AH! That was fun going to fair with you this morning. I love the fair and the rides I leave to some one else. I get really sick of the motions. The quilts are very beautiful. I pray your mom and dad will be safe during the storm. Kept us up on the news of our new VP hopeful. Love to you all.nana jane
Just one moment? Wow that is a toughie. I can think of events I'd love to watch--The Norman Conquest, the War of the Roses, or even lives in general that I would love to spy on such as a glimpse into the lives of Eleanor of Aquitaine, Anne Boleyn, Lady Jane Grey or Mary Queen of Scots. I'd love to watch Shakespeare at work or see what personality drove Jane Austen to her works. But one moment in history? But one moment in history--probably the first Easter. I'm sure no words could adequately describe the range of emotions on that day.
Thank you, Mary... I was really hoping someone would share their moment...
If I could take part and witness one moment in history (besides any of your average Sunday School answers, which are a given), I would have to go with the signing of the Declaration of Independence, July 4, 1776.
Although, at first glance, it might sound as action-packed as your local First Baptist Church Sunday night business meeting, I can't help but think about the conversations these 56 brave men must have had on that night.
I wish I could have been there on the night Thomas Jefferson gave his presentation of the Declaration and watched as tempers were raised, lines were drawn & allegiances were sworn.
I would have liked to shake hands with not only the men that now are pictured all throughout our history books & printed all over our currency, but just as much so with the farmers & merchants in attendance.
I would have liked to watch John Hancock sign his name extra-bold, just so King George IV would not need his spectacles to identify him as a traitor and to ensure that the reward for his head was doubled... I think I would have gotten along with that joker, John Hancock.
I want to know what these every day lawyers, jurors, merchants & farmers said about the charges of treason that they would surely be charged with? What exact words did it take for Franklin and Adams to successful support Jefferson and persuade the other 53 men to dismiss the fatal risk?
The subject at hand was extremely heavy. Many of the men were later captured, tortured and charged with treason by the King... as they knew they would be.
And with the severity of the punishments known by all the men present on that humid, early July night; what words and visions of hope were voiced when 56 brave patriots painted the picture of the United States of America?
On a side note, I don't know what I could have possibly contributed to this moment if I was in attendance - maybe I could just serve a few glasses of sweet tea - but I would have loved to been there.
-AB3
i thought and thought about all the Jesus stories i would love to have seen(when He made Peter breakfast and asked if he loved Him, when He waited for everyone to discover the punchline after He'd turned the water into wine, when He followed Zaccheus home) i just can't pick...so i think i'll go with the parting of the Red Sea...all the terror of following the Lord to this place where they were surrounded on three sides by mountains and water and finding an army at their back and watching Him make a way where there was no way...what an amazing silence when He covered their enemies with water behind them...i would LOVE to have been there for that joyful relief and praising God for the impossible!!
and also maybe to sit with Van Gogh and watch him paint :)
Post a Comment