Sunday, August 31, 2008

a mohawk

When Liam was a little bitty baby, Ash and I made plans for his first haircut. We always thought it would be funny and good to give our son a mohawk. Only, when he grew, Liam wasn't a mohawk kind of boy. He was squishy and sweet and mostly obedient. We let his hair grow-- because he had giant curls and because those apron strings can wrap themselves around the funniest things-- something like hair even. When Liam did get his first haircut, and a couple more besides, we played it pretty safe with traditional little boy haircuts.

Only now, Liam is almost three and while still squishy and sweet, I wouldn't call him obedient... at least not the first time I tell him do to something... actually, not until I get up exasperated to spank him. Only then does he hustle to obey. And there are more and more instances where he's surprising us with his wildness. Just yesterday we were all working to clean the house when I found Liam with my rosewater Crabtree & Evelyn hand lotion (from my purse). He was smearing it all over the window by our front door and he was thrilled to show me his work. And below is a picture of Liam from last week. This was taken in the morning, right after he had awoken. Sometime after bedtime the previous evening, he had colored himself with one of Charlotte's markers. We asked him why, and Liam said, "Puppy!" That means he was trying to make himself look like a puppy. My favorite part ~ besides that the marker was washable~ was his toenails. Liam took extra effort to color the big toenail on each foot. I think you can see that in the picture.
So needless to point out, Liam seems more like a mohawk kind of boy now. Liam's new haircut has so perfectly suited him... he grins when people look at him and emphatically informs his admirers, "Mo-hawk!"


4 comments:

Leslie said...

i love love love it...Mitchie says tht he wants one to after seeing this..and these days i know my boy fits the description, no longer cute and cuddly but a little mischievous

Anonymous said...

Hey Brown Family!
How are y'all?
Please tell Liam I love the mohawk, and that I miss Charlotte playing with me in Nana's back yard. I love y'all so much!

Anonymous said...

Oh I love it..I laughed pretty hard at the toenails..the mohawk suits him well. I know I say this a lot, but you kids are too stinkin cute..

Anonymous said...

Liam is cute anyway you do his hair but as a nana I love the sweet little boy's hair cut, but then you can always comb it down when you want a different look.
I'll take him anyway I can get him.
Just wish I could hug him right now!! Nana jane