Monday, November 3, 2008

Ashley's It

Ok, so I've been tagged in this wonderful process... and here's my responses.

Four random things about me:
1) I can't roll my tongue. (Did you know the ability to roll or curl your tongue is a genetic trait?! I blame my parents for this one.)
2) I don't sleep with a pillow. (I haven't been able to since my tour in Afghanistan. Weird things.)
3) I have a pink basket with a bunch of kids' toys (animals, bouncy balls, etc.) on a shelf in my office.
4) My favorite hot drink is a 16 oz. Alaska Chai at Kaladi's.

Four occupations I'd love to do if talent and money were not qualifications:
1) Professional photographer.
2) Freelance journalist or author.
3) Philosophy professor at Chapel Hill.
4) A backpacker.

Four guilty pleasures:
1) Video games.
2) Bojangles biscuits, fries, and tea. (Sadly... they aren't up here in AK.)
3) TV.
4) Long, hot showers.

Four things I am drawn to buy even when I don't need them:
1) Books.
2) Outdoor recreational gear.
3) Electronic gadgets.
4) Oh... and BOOKS!

Four challenges I face on a daily/weekly basis:
1) Consitency with God.
2) Spontaneity with Sarah.
3) Energy with kids.
4) Time for it all.

Four books that have helped/inspired me this year:
1) The God Delusion by R. Dawkins - If I ever get to teach a critical thinking class I will use this book (even in the church). I have never come across another book that so incapsulates the current Western mindset, was written by one of the most respected and brilliant thinkers of our day, and yet... would seriously fail a basic course on logic and philosophy for its faulty reasoning. It was a wonderfully great read. My copy is marked throughout for me to use in the future.
2) The Ugly American by W. Lederer - This is a book every American should read, particularly Christians. Maybe it would help counteract some of the America-centric thinking we have.
3) The Barbarian Way by E. McManus - An excellent, quick read challenging every Christian to live a passionate life after God's own heart.
4) Spiritual Disciplines for the Christian Life by. D. Whitney - A well-balanced look at what it means to have discipline and develop your spiritual life.

2 comments:

Pops and Gammie said...

I did not know that genetics determines the ability to roll one's tongue. You are your dad's child ~ I can & he can't . . . do genetics also explain why Bojangle's calls your name?!

One thing that all of this "tagging" is doing is giving me a few ideas for Christmas . . . do you think that you could get Charlotte & Liam to answer a few of these questions? :)

Anonymous said...

Now I think I understand why my father-in-law, a Vietnam vet., never sleeps with a pillow.

Oh, and PLEASE pursue the Chapel Hill prof. job. That would be GREAT!