Monday, June 22, 2009

at the river's edge


Just a picture post today... I wish I had thoughts other than nesting and homeschool and MOPS floating around my mind~ something a little more interesting to write about, but I don't. So I'm offering some pictures from our weekend just to keep our parents and grandparents at least checking the blog. These pictures are from our afternoon spent exploring a tiny square of shore along the Matanuska River.

My rockhounds- Ash & Charlotte- stuffed their pockets full of treasures they couldn't leave behind. The picture right above is of the two of them very reluctantly leaving the river's edge, pockets full of their favorite finds. I don't think another afternoon could be invented that would
better speak to the love language of my two scientists/explorers. I enjoyed the afternoon because I always enjoy adventures that remind me of Kahlil Gibran's quote, "Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." Liam, too, was content to slay "bad guys and mosquitos" with driftwood. But real joy was found just past the Old Knik Bridge that afternoon- not just contentment, but two souls feasting on joy and delight over some of the smallest and oldest bits of creation.

8 comments:

Sylvia Goode Basham said...

Grandparents aren't the only ones happy to see your posts :-) Did you guys get any tremors from the Anchorage earthquake?

Pops and Gammie said...

Were there a few agates that ended up in those pockets? A rock . . . what a special treasure! And what could be more important than for Liam to protect the family from AK's monster mosquitos!?

Yes, we DO love seeing pictures of all of you. Thanks for sharing~
Much love and a continued happy summer.

Anonymous said...

Good to hear from you all. We miss you so. Great pictures, especially the last one of Ashley and Charlotte! Happy late birthday, Sarah...sorry it got by me~
Love from SC,
Janice

Anonymous said...

Thanks, God makes small things Great!!!! Much love and thanks.
nan jane

Adam, Connie, Josiah, and Bella said...

Love the pics; thanks for sharing!!

Anonymous said...

SARAH HAVE YOU THOUGHT ABOUT PHOTOGRAPHY? YOUR PICTURES ARE ALWAYS SO WONDERFUL. LOVE YOU GUYS! P.S. SEND LIAM MY WAY, I HAVE MOSQUITOS. NANA

Laura for the Baillies said...

Good to see your faces again! I think about you all the time, wish I could rub your feet(if that didn't tickle too bad) and make you a cup of coffee and a muffin...I miss BIG alaska, it has such a different feel to it, but I am attempting to thoroughly enjoy the treasures here in beautiful NC! :)

Unknown said...

Sarah! Sis said you were not well...I hope you can gain some much needed rest and health before that little one joins the family! I remember having walkine nemonia with one of the boys and the cough was relentless. Praying for ya!
Love, Jen