Wednesday, May 19, 2010

messy

I've been babysitting a bunch this past month. Well, something like babysitting anyways. This past month has been a little messier than babysitting but that's all I can really share about that right now. It's actually all I know anyways. I wish I had more answers, but right now we have just hope and misunderstanding and concern and prayer. In the midst of whatever this is, I've been thinking a lot about me as a mom. With two babies around here, I am well aware of my shortcomings and how not enough I am. I don't have enough arms for all the things needed right now- things like diapers, bottles, homeschool, laundry, lunch and, well, everything.


But it's also something in me that's not enough. I hate how crabby my soul can be. I want to be doing exactly what we're doing here... I want us to jump into situations where we can extend God's grace. Because of Jesus, I want us to be reckless in the ministry of reconciliation- helping people know how to be reconciled with God. But I can be so short-tempered. And petty. And loads of other embarrassing things. All because I'm inconvenienced. My feelings and what I know is right have been wrestling this past month. I am not meeting the standards and expectations I have for myself as a wife and mom and forget about me being your friend. I've forgotten to be your friend this past month. I want to do hard things with more grace. All I have to offer, however, is transparency.



I'm a big believer in hard things not necessarily being bad things. I try to remind myself that when something is hard, I don't have to make it look easy. That takes a lot of pressure off me. That actually helps me keep perspective as a Christian, too. We're just right in the middle of a load of hard things sometimes and it doesn't make much sense to me to try and pretend that I can handle all of it. One of my pet peeves is that saying, "God never gives us more than we can handle." That's not biblical. It's nonsense. I know loads of people who are in heartwrenching situations; nobody can handle some of these situations. There are some losses in life that should I one day suffer, I am sure I'd suffocate. I am also sure God would continue to breathe for me, but I'd probably wish that He didn't for awhile. So I'm just saying, that in light of the sin in this world, there are loads of things that are hard- too much for me to handle even though I am desparately in love with Jesus. But while some hard things are evil, most hard things are just hard. And it honors God for me to admit how needy I am in those situations, too. I don't have to pretend: I'll learn more and grow in God's grace if I let my situation be hard and rely on God to be the steadfast, strong One. God will never give me more than HE can handle. I can let the hard things be hard.



I love Impressionist paintings. I am not an art student in any way, but if you're unfamiliar with that term, think of those painting that are beautiful from a distance, but messy up close. I think of me in those terms. Because of Jesus and how He unshackled me from my sin and despair, this life is going to be beautiful. Because this life will bear His signature, it can't be anything but brilliant. That's going to be the final outcome. Standing back, looking at everything, I think my life as a painting will be heartwrenching and breathtaking. But up close, geez, what a mess! Up close, you might get lost in the details. At times you'll probably think, "Well, now, that's actually ugly. How can that mess be redeemed?" But stand back again and take it all in... it will be clear that a brilliant artist was at work. Studying the mess up close will give a right understanding as to how magnificent the artist is: the artist took a mess and made a masterpiece. All those hard things will be redeemed and be some of those essential brushstrokes in my painting. The celebrations, joys, and contentment will be some of those brushstrokes, too, but right now, I am clinging to the knowledge that the hard and messy things will be made beautiful, too.

10 comments:

Sylvia Goode Basham said...

{wow}

Leslie said...

i hope that all is well, and as always you said it so beautifully. i love your analogy about the impressionist painting.

Anita said...

hey dear friend,
thanks for your post. know that the brown's are in our prayers and that GOD is in control. may he use your willingness, open arms and open home to minister deeply to those you are crossing paths with these days. HE is great we are not but HE uses us anyway and we are blessed to be called HIS children. i admire your servant's heart sarah.

Anita

Anonymous said...

Sarah,

Just got on and read your post and LOVED you sharing your heart! What an awesome picture of the impressionist artists - I will always think of that when I see those paintings! Praying for you guys and miss you so much! Love you!

The Heidorns

Anonymous said...

Love you...

Amandrew Brown said...

if your life is Impressionist painting, does that mean that mine is Abstract? the kind that is messy from afar and everybody around says "I could do that!" or "that artist was obviously wearing mittens when he did that finger painting"

...either way, I love you sister. And I appreciate you sharing.
-AB3

Amandrew Brown said...

Sarah, the pastor this Sunday (JD was gone for the weekend) told us that we need to think of something better (more meaningful and more Biblical) to say to someone(s) going through a hard time besides "you're in my thoughts and prayers."But it's 7:00am so please understand that when I say that this morning, it comes from my heart... and that my mind isn't quite working yet. I love you all and can't wait to see you in a couple of months. And by the way, Impressionist paintings have always been my very favorite. I hope you all get to spend some time at the art museum in DC ...it's been my favorite place in DC since I was a little girl!
Love,
Amanda

Laura for the Baillies said...

your HEART...my gracious. All you said is SO true...this may be opening a whole can of worms but have you read the Shack? There's a part I LOVE in there that parallels what you wrote a little bit...
We have to kind of exchange our definitions sometimes, my idea of an ideal day and His are VERY different, I'm not always so concerned in the outcome as I am in my comfort...for YEARS I've been trying to correct that saying :)
love you, kindred spirit friend!!

Leslie Stanton said...

I echo what Sylvia and the others said...wow...what a beautifully written, or perhaps I should say expressed, post. The analogy to the impressionist painting is so great and insightful...what a great word picture. Thanks for sharing your heart.

Clint, Meredith and Soren said...

thanks for sharing those thoughts, Sarah.