This video is a precious souvenir for us. In the middle of December our daughter made the decision to follow Jesus. This decision has been a process for all of us because Ash and I haven't wanted to push or manufacture anything in our children. We ache for our children to know the extravagent love of God, but who can know Jesus other than a sinner? My children will probably know all the Sunday School answers, but will they KNOW how desperate they are before the Throne of Grace? I can't just have them say the right thing here. Charlotte has been saying for awhile now that she wants to follow Jesus, and we've been given wise counsel to honor a child's faith, but I've been content to take this slow. Ash and I have wanted to saturate our childrens' lives with the Gospel, daily teaching and training them to love God with all their hearts, souls, minds and strength and to RUN in the paths of God's commands because He has set their hearts free. We only want to reproduce a faith that lives worthy of the Gospel.
Charlotte came to us a couple weeks ago to say she wanted to be a Christian. I asked her if she understood what sin is. Charlotte's response was, "I hate myself when I do the things I know I shouldn't do." I know that place... that's a place where we can meet Jesus. So it was a great privilege for me and Ash to get to sit beside her as Charlotte prayed her own prayer to ask God to forgive her and to be her Savior. This video shows the next step Charlotte took to follow Jesus: baptism. So when you watch it, take it for what it is: Charlotte wanting the world to know that she's chosen to follow Jesus.
This video also shows my husband's first baptism as a pastor. Ash was able to first say, "I baptize you, my sister..." to our daughter. From what I understand, Ash was baptized by his father. I am grateful to be part of a heritage like this. I know the video might be hard to hear, but I hope you can imagine how tender and magnificent this moment is for our family. One of my favorite things about the video is all the cheering at the end. I am filled with emotion to hear those voices and know they belong to people who will love and encourage Charlotte, as well as be a hedge of protection to her. Those voices will lift her up in prayer, as well as teach her Sunday School lessons and Bible studies. They will speak Truth to her and join hers in praising God for how He has rescued us. I am awed by what the Church is meant to be.
A funny thing in all this is that Liam is now saying he wants to be "bath-tized." I ask him, "Do you sin, buddy?" The answer is obvious to him: "No." There is no situation with his mother that he gets what he wants by admitting, "I am a wretched jerk of a sinner," so ofcourse he can't fathom that this would be an entirely different kind of cookie.
11 comments:
Thank you Sarah for sharing this memory with us. We are THRILLED for Charlotte and will continue to intercede for Liam. :) Love to you all from CA! Happy New Year . . . a new year to remember for sure.
Anita
awww... that is so precious. She's saved and white as snow! Thanks for sharing that sweet... sweet video of Ashley with his daughter/sister!
congratulations to Charlotte!! So thankful for what a beautiful gift it all is for you as her parents!! Wasn't able to watch the video but will be trying back...
Love you guys!
God is so good!! What a wonderful way to start a new year. I felt so good even watching it on the computer brings tears to my eyes.
Again God is so good!!!
nana jane
Oh, Charlotte Rose, that is so special!! So sorry we missed it. :)
Praise the Lord!! Watching it brings tears of joy to my eyes also, wish I could have been there. We love you so much Charlie Brown. N&B
Charlotte,
We, too, are rejoicing in your decision and act of obedience to God's command. We love you. As you can tell, there are many of us who would have loved to be with you at church yesterday to witness your baptism.
Thank you, Sarah and Ashley, for sharing this precious moment with us in video!
Gammie and Pops
what a sweet special gift...congratulations sweet charlotte. that liam is a funny guy
Charlotte, we rejoice with you and your family on your decision to follow Jesus. So happy we were able to see you baptism on video.
Hugs to all, and blessings,
Jim & Michelle Hardwicke
(Connie's mom & dad)
Beautiful. Thank you for sharing.
I'm partying along with the angels in honor of Charlotte's inclusion in the Family!
Post a Comment