Saturday, March 13, 2010

a mushing afternoon

I had no expectations for today. I had written "Jones/ sled dogs" on my calendar but had no idea what to expect from this engagement. Our good friends invited us to join them way the heck down Knik Rd. to visit with a friend of theirs who enjoys sharing his love of mushing with others. Our friends introduced us to G.B. and he introduced us to his dogs and sled. My whole family fell in love with G.B., one of the most hospitable individuals I have ever met. When I use the word hospitality, I am afraid you'll think of Martha Stewart, and though I love that woman, she'll never pull out some couch cushions to throw on her dog sled and let my children ride laps around her backyard. G.B. is a two time finisher of the Iditarod, as well as an Army Ranger. (Army Rangers find one another- it is a fraternity, I think. I love that men bond with words like, "Ranger school: summer or winter?" "Winter," "me, too," then huge smiles and they just know they're okay with each other.) I can't imagine G.B. pulling out a copy of Living magazine and making whatever Martha has made with doilies this month, but he was patient with my children and clearly excited for them to experience mushing. G.B. was marvelous. I hugged him when we left because I couldn't help myself. I am so grateful our friends thought to bring us along on our adventure; what a highlight this afternoon has been!


So, ofcourse Charlotte was eager to jump on the sled- racing in and winning the Iditarod is just the sort of adventure she dreams of. (I've been thinking lately that Mat-Su Community College needs to add a few degrees to their programs. I feel sure Charlotte will grow to be the dictator of a small country. She needs classes called things like, "How to Stage a Coup" and "Ruling the Servant Class" and "How to Lose your Head: Let Them Eat Cake." Watch out, world, Charlotte is on her way...) Liam, however, was characteristically hesitant. Liam will be a knight when he grows up, but he doesn't just jump on every sled of opportunity. Liam needed some encouragement, but by the time he was halfway around the trail the first time, he was ready to take control of the sled. Watching my husband take my children out on the trail, which actually overlaps with the Historic Iditarod Trail, reminded me of when I was a child. I don't remember the circumstances, but I remember my dad taking me to visit a musher who took us out on her sled. I think I was Charlotte's age. I love that Charlotte and Liam can now tuck this afternoon into their pocket of experience. I asked G.B. about the moment when he crossed the Iditarod's finish line. I wondered what that moment feels like. This very weathered, kind man became visibly emotional. He said that he felt every emotion when crossing the line. Ofcourse joy and exhaustion, but also sadness. He said that he stopped his dogs about a mile from the finish, just to have a moment with them before the chaos of celebration. That made sense to me. I noticed how the dogs run with their ears alert and pointed backwards, listening for G.B.'s voice. They watch him when he moves. The dogs weren't impressed when Ash or Jesse took the reins of control- several times we laughed because they'd only start running when G.B. gave the command. It made sense that G.B. would want to tell his dogs in as sincere way as he could that he was proud of them. I couldn't help but be in awe of these animals that have run a 1,000 mile race.

4 comments:

Pops and Gammie said...

Wow!

Joani said...

Oh Sarah, that looks like such fun! By the way, Dad & Mark built Keeton & Peter their own little dogsleds when they where little.... maybe you could find one of those for Charlotte to practice overtaking the world of mushing in (I'm pretty sure Dad would have given her some dogs a few years ago, too, had she been around =).

Sylvia Goode Basham said...

The pictures were great, but the word pictures...WOW! I love how you bring me along on your adventures :-)

Laura for the Baillies said...

what a beautiful experience! THANK you for sharing it with all of us!! wish we could have joined you :)